Monday 12 November 2007

One step back, to see clearer.

The first music video I saw on MTV was Pula Abdul - Opposites Attract. I didn’t leave the house today, its 3 am and I still haven’t done the work I meant to be done with about five hours ago. Instead I spent my weekend in Azeroth. Going back and revisit the place, nostalgically walking trough zones and quest-lines and thinking of the people I met there, the journeys we made and mobs we downed, I also fully recall when I stopped playing that game and why.
Currently living in a city with about four places to go out to, all being in a sliding scale between bad and horrible makes me want to stay home a lot more then I used to. I haven’t really left the house since I came back from Hyper on Friday night.
I didn't only look back to a few yearlong online gaming trip and the visits to Broncos that came with it, I tried to look back on the entire time since I left the university and made the promise to myself to never more study for the sake of studies. Having the bad odd-jobs and various forms of internships and welfare-activities made creativity something special. Being a Hyper Island student and after that venture out in the digital media industry I'll always have to be creative. Every single day. I haven't crated anything for myself since I got here, save this blog and the half-assed Photoshop images that I sometimes post in it.
This is beginning to sound like one of those winey late at night posts that brings regret to me the day after i write them but my conclusion will probably make up for it.

Hold your breath...

Here we go:
All the nostalgia aside, I think looking back is a great way to see not only where you are now but also to se why you are there. I went to Hyper because I really and genuinely wanted to. I like the education, so far and feel that my talents have developed quite a bit since I got there. Not the talents that I thought would grow; I must admit but so far I’m feeling confident that it was the best possible move i have made in quite some time.
Also revisiting WoW is in many ways like spending the day with an old friend you don’t longer hang out with or maybe like letting your ex-girlfriend and her buds stay in your house when they end up in your town and need a place to crash. It’s nice, but that’s because you’re on familiar ground and you know it won't be as last time, when you drifted apart or broke up or the game just wasn't fun anymore because its already happened.
Evolving is doing things you’re not sure of and going where you haven't been before. And that’s the biggest lesson yet for me from hyper.
Maybe I won’t feel like writing a novel or a 12-issue comic book about a hitman again for a few years, instead I intend to be well paid.

Sleep tight, I know I will.

1 comment:

The Bakers said...

I know how you feel, I know I am learning, this is just not how I pictured it or what I thought would know by now... Still glad I am here though.